Saturday, January 8, 2011

My Current Adventures...

Many big new things are happening in my life right now. I've been married for a year and a half now. My husband, Andrew, and I just moved from Charleston, South Carolina, to San Diego, CA. We are very glad to be back in Southern California, since we met and got married just an hour and a half north of here. So this was our second cross country move. And it was even more complicated than the first because my husband had temporary duty in Connecticut for almost three months. For most of the time that he was in Connecticut, I was in California looking for a good place to start renting (the base housing in San Diego isn't as good as it was in Charleston so we decided to look elsewhere), finding venues and coffee shops to play at (I'm a singer/songwriter), and also finding a good doctor for myself. Why do I need a good doctor? I'm pregnant! And if that doesnt complicate things, then I don't know what does!

I stayed with my parents while house hunting and dealing with the fatigue and nausea of pregnancy's first trimester. Amazingly enough, it took me less than a month to find the PERFECT (or nearly at least somewhat perfect) place for us to live. It had all the main things we wanted; three bedrooms, attached garage, laundry hook-ups, and it wasnt in an appartment complex! We were approved to start renting right away.

But I still had to switch my health insurance and find a doctor and all that. And when you're a navy wife with military health insurance, NO ONE to tell you what to do, and raging preggo hormones, it can be quite difficult. But after 2 months of leaving about a hundred voicemails all over Balboa's hospital, someone decided to call me back and help me set up an appointment. It was all pretty frustrating, but I now have a midwife and am getting great prenatal care.

I had no furniture and no husband in my new home in San Diego, so I flew to Connecticut and stayed with my husband in a navy hotel for a month. It was great, I took lots of naps, played wii (we bought one while we were there), and was able to catch a prenatal fitness class, where I met some other preggo navy wives.

So far I've only been to two different places in San Diego that have open mic nights. I've done them each twice and met some local musicians that I really like. I am actually scheduled to play a show with a couple local musicians on the 22nd of this month. Maybe I will blog about it later. Anyway, there is a lot of talent out here but I feel like I fit in quite well so far. Hopefully I can get a couple paid gigs before this baby comes. I don't feel like getting a "real" job. Especially since I am nearly 5 months along now and I am starting to show. Who wants to hire someone knowing they're going to quit in 4 months?

Anyway, that pretty much sums up what is going on in my life right now. Expect to see more on deployment, music, and baby Henry, in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment